Condoleezza Rice. "Punish France, ignore Germany and forgive Russia,"
ricardo a. gonzalez
2004-11-17 11:34:50 UTC
============================
"Punish France, ignore Germany and forgive Russia,"

'Punish France' - In Europe, Condoleezza Rice's reputation precedes
her

The Associated Press

PARIS - In Europe, it's hard for some to think of Condoleezza Rice -
Colin Powell's expected replacement as U.S. secretary of state -
without recalling the low points in trans-Atlantic relations that grew
out of the war in Iraq.
After all, it was Rice who raised eyebrows last year with her
Machiavellian suggestions for how Washington should treat European
opponents of the U.S.-led invasion.

"Punish France, ignore Germany and forgive Russia," Rice was widely
quoted as telling associates in the spring of 2003.

Trans-Atlantic ties have since improved to some extent. But Rice's
reputation still precedes her.

"Condie Rice is a woman with character, that's the least we can say,"
French Foreign Minister Michel Barnier said Tuesday of President
Bush's trusted national security adviser.

But Barnier underlined French hopes of rebuilding ties with the United
States no matter who holds the post of chief diplomat. "If she is
named ... we will continue to have the same relations," Barnier told
Europe-1 radio. "With the United States, the moment has come, looking
ahead of us, to rebuild, to renew this trans-Atlantic relationship."

Many in Europe, Asia and the Middle East believed Rice will add a more
conservative, hawkish bent to U.S. diplomacy after Powell, seen by
many as a moderating voice in a Cabinet of hawks.

France's left-leaning daily newspaper Liberation noted her "extremely
cut-and-dried opinions" on occasions and said she has surprised
diplomats with the "very hard and firm tone with which she speaks of
the Palestinians."

In Greece, meanwhile, the liberal Athens daily Vima said Powell's
departure "raises concerns the United States will toughen its foreign
policy."

But Dominique Moisi, a special adviser to the French Institute of
International Relations, said Rice's "punish France" reputation is
"secondary" to Washington and Paris' apparent desire to mend fences.

"It's political will, not people, that counts," Moisi said. "The
Americans need France in Iraq and overall in the Middle East, and the
French feel that they went too far and isolated themselves."

Analysts in Kuwait, a major ally of Washington in the Gulf since a
U.S.-led coalition liberated it in 1991 from a seven-month Iraqi
occupation, said a harder line may be a good thing.

"With her strong personality and the support of the American
administration, she could be able to achieve change in foreign
policy," Ahmed al-Baghdadi, political science teacher at the state
Kuwait University, said of Rice. "She is tough and more decisive, and
this is what the area needs."

Former Kuwaiti Oil Minister Ali al-Baghli said Rice's new role could
"increase the U.S. policy's determination and drive to finish what it
started such as (pushing for) democratic reform, and building a new
Iraq."

"With (Palestinian leader) Yasser Arafat gone, and moderate and
realistic leaders hopefully taking over, we hope that the American
administration decides to solve that issue, especially that Rice has
good relations with the Israeli leadership."

Sergei Karaganov, head of the Council for Foreign and Defense
Policies, a leading independent Russian foreign policy think-tank,
said little change is likely in Washington-Moscow relations since Rice
helped craft U.S. policy there, but that she "will be less independent
in crafting U.S. foreign policy" than Powell.

"The key issue now is whether there will be resignations now in the
conservative wing of the administration," Karaganov said.

Latvian Foreign Minister Artis Pabriks said Rice's appointment would
benefit his country - dubbed part of the "new Europe" by Bush last
year - and its Baltic neighbors Lithuania and Estonia, which were
occupied by the Soviet Union for more than 50 years.

"It would be a very intellectual choice, and (Rice) also understands
Russia very well. This is important for Latvia and for Europe," he
said. "We are Europeans but we value our strategic partnership with
America as well."

World leaders, meanwhile, lavished praise on Powell, hailing his
efforts to build international consensus. To many, particularly in
Europe and China, Powell was seen as a multilateralist influence in a
U.S. administration seen as too willing to act on its own.

"Mr. Powell showed his understanding of our country and made so many
efforts to promote friendship," Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro
Koizumi said on Tuesday. "I'd like to express my heartfelt respect for
his efforts and achievements."

Chinese Foreign Minister Li Zhaoxing called Powell "a good friend" in
comments to Hong Kong reporters on the sidelines of Chinese President
Hu Jintao's visit to Brazil. He added that the change in personnel
would not change relations with Washington.

"No matter what happens we will continue to care for and support the
development of an amicable, cooperative relationship between China and
the United States," Li said in comments aired in Hong Kong on Tuesday.

www.tucsoncitizen.com | Copyright © 2004 Tucson Citizen, All rights
reserved.
Terms of Service

=================================
ARIEL BOLUDOVSKY
2004-11-17 12:06:15 UTC
Post by ricardo a. gonzalez
'Punish France' -
Yeah!!!!

Launch the missiles! Bombs away!

Forza Condi.

BOLUDOVSKY
--
NO BLOOD FOR CHOCOLATE.
FROGS: HANDS OFF IVORY COAST!
daniel alquier
2004-11-17 12:41:39 UTC
Post by ARIEL BOLUDOVSKY
Post by ricardo a. gonzalez
'Punish France' -
Yeah!!!!
Launch the missiles! Bombs away!
Forza Condi.
CHE HIJO DE LA CHANCHA! CUANTO VAS A DEJAR TU DONCELLEZ
¿ESTAS PIDIENDO DE TIRAR BOMBAS CONTRA FRANCIA ? SERPIENTE SIN CASCABEL
GUSANO QUE ME HUBIERA GUSTADO CHAFAR

MIENTRAS QUE USTED EL POROTO ESTA DICIENDO LOCURAS
TU HERMANA CHICOLEA CON MOROS

!
ARIEL BOLUDOVSKY
2004-11-17 15:34:28 UTC
Post by daniel alquier
CHE HIJO DE LA CHANCHA! CUANTO VAS A DEJAR TU DONCELLEZ
¿ESTAS PIDIENDO DE TIRAR BOMBAS CONTRA FRANCIA ? SERPIENTE SIN CASCABEL
GUSANO QUE ME HUBIERA GUSTADO CHAFAR
MIENTRAS QUE USTED EL POROTO ESTA DICIENDO LOCURAS
TU HERMANA CHICOLEA CON MOROS
Ah, la belle France, ese pais conocido por la exquisitez y el refinamiento
de sus gentes...

BOLUDOVSKY
--
NO BLOOD FOR CHOCOLATE.
FROGS: HANDS OFF IVORY COAST!
daniel alquier
2004-11-17 16:09:36 UTC
Post by ARIEL BOLUDOVSKY
Post by daniel alquier
CHE HIJO DE LA CHANCHA! CUANTO VAS A DEJAR TU DONCELLEZ
¿ESTAS PIDIENDO DE TIRAR BOMBAS CONTRA FRANCIA ? SERPIENTE SIN CASCABEL
GUSANO QUE ME HUBIERA GUSTADO CHAFAR
MIENTRAS QUE USTED EL POROTO ESTA DICIENDO LOCURAS
TU HERMANA CHICOLEA CON MOROS
Ah, la belle France, ese pais conocido por la exquisitez y el
refinamiento
Post by ARIEL BOLUDOVSKY
de sus gentes...
LA FRANCE ELLE TE CHIE A LA GUEULE ET ELLE TE PISSE A LA RAIE DU CUL, GROS
CON DE FASCISTE DE MERDE..
TU SOUHAITES DES BOMBES SUR MON PAYS ET TU CROIS QUE JE VAIS TE LAISSER EN
PAIX?

BUENO MIENTRAS QUE VOS TARTAMUDEAS TUS LOCURAS, QUE HACE TU HERMANA? DÍMELO
¿SIGUE ELLA CON LOS MOROS? CHE!! QUEL ASCO...

UNA JUDIA "MALCO" perdiendo su doncellez con salvajes moros... que va pasar
con la pureza de tu raza, Arielito querido?
Post by ARIEL BOLUDOVSKY
BOLUDOVSKY
--
NO BLOOD FOR CHOCOLATE.
FROGS: HANDS OFF IVORY COAST!
Chuck
2004-11-17 17:13:52 UTC
"ARIEL BOLUDOVSKY" <***@gmx.de> wrote in message news:***@141.11.194.4...

Excelente pieza publicada en la edicion de hoy del WSJ "From Colin to
Condoleezza" de Elliot Cohen.

Este tipo de analisis no se ve en los diarios europeos.

Saludos,
Chuck
usenet
2004-11-17 19:51:20 UTC
Post by Chuck
Excelente pieza publicada en la edicion de hoy del WSJ "From Colin to
Condoleezza" de Elliot Cohen.
Este tipo de analisis no se ve en los diarios europeos.
Por suerte!

Saludos

mario "el franchute"
Chuck
2004-11-17 21:43:46 UTC
"ARIEL BOLUDOVSKY" <***@gmx.de> wrote in message

"We knew we were okay when Michael Moore couldn't find anything and left the
state for Ohio. I guess we just weren't exciting enough for him."

--Republican Spokeswoman Mindy Tucker Fletcher on Election Day in Florida