One of Cuba’s Ridiculous Laws
Cubaverdad
2014-04-27 08:03:23 UTC
One of Cuba’s Ridiculous Laws
April 25, 2014
Warhol P

HAVANA TIMES — On Wednesday, April 23, I was notified by phone that,
after many months’ wait, I was finally going to be paid the royalties
for an illustration of mine that had been used as a book cover.

I was happy to get the news (one always needs money) and, the next day,
I headed over to the Letras Cubanas publishing house.

I got to the publishing house after a hellish trip that put me in a
lousy mood and made my walk unpleasant.

When I neared the receptionist, she looked at me as though eyeing an
insect. When I explained to her I was there to pick up a check, she
starting shaking her head no before I even finished talking.

For a moment, I thought she was exercising her neck, because she shook
her head without saying anything for at least a minute. Then, a little
annoyed, she told me I couldn’t go up to the publishing house because I
was wearing a tank-top.

I still didn’t understand, but I took a deep breath to keep my blood
pressure from rising. I explained to her I lived in Marianao, very far
from there, and that I didn’t know there was a dress code. When I
received the call, no one had explained this time. Besides, the days
have been very hot and wearing light clothing is normal.

The receptionist, who was also wearing a rather colorful tank-top,
didn’t budge. She said to me: “Look, I’m sorry, I didn’t make the law.
You can’t go up wearing a tank-top, the law forbids it. I could get
myself into trouble if I let you go in.”

Holding back the impulse to strangle her, I took another deep breath,
pictured some tiny butterflies flying all around me and asked her if
there was any other alternative, like having the person responsible for
giving me the check come down, so that I could sign the check in the lobby.

She thought it over and made a phone call. The person responsible was in
a meeting, so the receptionist asked me to have a seat and wait. I
thanked her for her troubles and sat down in one of the chairs in the
reception.

To my surprise, I saw more than ten women wearing tank-tops go into and
out of the building in the half hour I spent waiting there.

I wonder what the difference between a man and a woman in tank-tops is.
The lack of equality is blatant: they can wear a tank-top wherever they
please and men can’t. This struck me as absurd, particularly if we
recall just about everyone wears these shirts in Cuba because of the
intense heat.

Before I left, I had the impulse to ask the receptionist whether she
would have let me in if I had shown up there dressed as a woman and
wearing a tank-top. If she said no, she would have been discriminating
against me.

Instead, I decided to simply thank her and go, to act like a normal,
civilized person who is capable of getting past people’s stupidity, the
kind that make our daily lives a tiny bit more miserable.

Source: One of Cuba’s Ridiculous Laws - Havana Times.org -
http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=103261
The Razor's Edge
2014-04-27 12:11:12 UTC
Yup, ridiculous.

In the bank here in Las Tunas, women are allowed to enter the bank in open
toed shoes or sandals, men aren't. Women are allowed to enter wearing
shorts, men aren't. Women are allowed to wear tank tops, men aren't.
Inequality yes. However, seeing a woman in a tank top and shorts is a
pleasant sight. Seeing some hairy, sweaty men in a tank top and shorts is a
disgusting sight.
Cubaverdad
Quite a sexist aren't you?
The Razor's Edge
2014-04-29 11:13:59 UTC
God loves ugly. I don't.

Sexist, no but here is my take.

I was sitting in the bank waiting for my turn and a beautiful mulatta came
and sat down beside me. There were three chairs attached to each other. I
was sitting in the middle. About two minutes later a gentlmen came in and
sat down on the other side of me. The woman smelled good and looked good.
The guy smelled bad and when he brushed his arm against mine, the hairbrush
he wore on his forearms left a trail of sweat along mine. Disgusting. Not
his fault but disgusting just the same.
Cubaverdad
2014-04-29 11:18:32 UTC
Post by The Razor's Edge
God loves ugly. I don't.
And one man / woman's ugly is the others beauty.
Are you a "style fascist"?
Post by The Razor's Edge
Sexist, no but here is my take.
Sexist yes: based on sex you find something acceptable or not.

sexism: prejudice or discrimination based on sex
Post by The Razor's Edge
I was sitting in the bank waiting for my turn and a beautiful mulatta came
and sat down beside me. There were three chairs attached to each other. I
was sitting in the middle. About two minutes later a gentlmen came in and
sat down on the other side of me. The woman smelled good and looked good.
The guy smelled bad and when he brushed his arm against mine, the hairbrush
he wore on his forearms left a trail of sweat along mine. Disgusting. Not
his fault but disgusting just the same.
A very impolite man, but no reason to discriminate between man and women
on tank tops and sandals.
PL
2014-04-29 13:28:41 UTC
On 4/29/2014 1:13 PM, The Razor's Edgele clothing.
wrote:
(snip)
Post by The Razor's Edge
The guy smelled bad
blame the regime for the lack of soap, deodorants and affordable
clothing and shoes.

"Lack of Deodorant Now Affects Center of the Country", Yoaxis Marcheco
Suarez, Posted on February 14, 2014,
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CubaVerdad/conversations/messages/95315

You are directing your anger and disgust at the wrong target.

PS: control your pheromones.